Monday, October 24, 2016

Ticks and summer art

Here's some art from my summer journal, actually my watercolor journal. It's already October and I only have four sketches in it. Summer is over! And I'm probably the odd one out but I'm happy about it. I don't do well in the heat. I'm a total melter and much prefer the cool days of Autumn and Spring. I even love winter (until March).

This summer I was bit by a tick and ended up with Lyme Disease. I walking around at the cottage hunting for Pokemon and of course it was insanely hot and I didn't wear jeans because sweat. I was bit! I never did see the tick but I saw a big red patch on my skin that I ignored for a while. I thought it might have been an ant or bee sting. But it didn't go away and it got bigger and bigger. My doctor thought it might be contact dermatitis but the steroid creams she prescribed did nothing. I could see a red ring around the rash and I suggested a Lyme Disease test but my doctor looked at me like I was a bit crazy. Apparently, only 700 cases were confirmed in Canada last year so I can understand her skepticism. But the red ring rash combined with cottage walking made me nervous and I'm glad I pushed it because the test came back as positive. Luckily, it was early for me and I had four weeks of antibiotics and all turned out well. I never felt sick, I just had a huge rash. So public service announcement for cottage country - be careful! Those ticks are definitely here.




4 comments:

  1. Your art is beautiful. Sorry about the tic, they are such nasty little things, glad you got treatment quickly. We have a lot over here, too, and I always wear long jeans even in summer when I am out! Hugs, Valerie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you are OK now. lyme disease is not a laughing matter and doesnt always show a rash or ring so can be tricky to catch if the tick is gone. But at least your dr did listen to you. Because I was bit a lot in Canada, I've been tested here when the docs found out I had MS instead.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sal, I love each one of your paintings. The perspective in the first one is terrific. Love the barrel and the bench and your water scene. Sorry you got Lyme disease. We do have ticks around here and I generally get at least one bite in the summer from the tiny seed ticks that are smaller than the dot on the i's in this post. Only once did I get the antibiotics although sometimes I have wondered. I am bug bait so I can't go to the doctor every time I get bitten, but the tick thing is always worrisome. Generally I dress as if it is winter when I work outside or in the woods around my house - long gloves, hat, sunglasses, long tucked-in pants and most important - Wellies that have been sprayed with OFF. I once got into a nest of baby ticks that were crawling up my legs by the dozens. I had to shave them off since soap and water didn't deter them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my!! I think I would have had a fit if I had to shave a bunch of baby ticks off of legs. A tick nest is the stuff of nightmares!

      Delete